Monday, November 06, 2006

Malaysian Studies

I've just finished my end semester exam, with Malaysian Studies "virtually" my last paper. It was held this morning but I've long set myself free after I finished my relatively more important paper: Investment, on Friday. Right after that exam, I've gone for a movie, a yumcha session, a Final Fantasy XII experience, and a party at Poppy. Hell, who would give a damn about Malaysian Studies? After a few weeks of abstinence from all the evils of leisure, I don't have the time to wait till the stupid paper ends and I must set all my "oppression" free.

Speaking of Malaysian Studies, it is not like I am not concerned about my country. Judging from how critical and harsh I can be in my previous entries, it's safe to say that I DO care about what's going on in Malaysia. Wanna try me? OK. Even though I literally locked myself up prior to my exam earlier on, I did still keep informed of what happened in this cute Malaysia. So what's the most heated issue in town? (Soon to be revoked) Dato' Zakariah and his Istana Idaman that is! Not to mention his unlicenced Satay store. Dato Z have just shown us who's da Boss in Malaysia.

Back to Malaysian Studies. The contents are just simply too general. It's basically cramping all your history lessons from seconday school and as a result you are like back to basics. The messages conveyed are clearly pro-government, with one clear message: BN is your man. Example, the New Economic Policy was pictured as the "remedy" which saves us all from turmoil, but the failures which happened 30 years (20 years of NEP and 10 years of National development Policy-- an extention of the NEP) down the line were not even being addressed. Further, the NEP was said to be to "eradicate poverty REGARDLESS OF RACE". What a joke. While my knowledge about the NEP has extended beyond what the textbook provides for, what do you expect me to write about NEP during the exam? Write what I know from the papers or write the required scheme answers? I was posed to such dilemma exactly just now. I really wanted to write what I know, but hell, it would be to put myself into trouble, and I don't want no pro-be-lem. So instead, defying my own conscience, I wrote as the scheme answer requires. "The NEP had successfully prepared the Bumiputeras to EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE OF GLOBALIZATION...blah blah.." How faker can I be, haha.

And then this issue of Democracy, where the standard textbook stated that the people are the boss while the so-called YBs are the people's servant. Theoritically, that is. In Malaysia, it's quite clear case that who's indeed the boss. It may be Dato Z, it may be Khir Toyo, but certainly not you and me, the poor peasants. So again, as the scheme requires, I wrote contraring my knowledge. Hey, I'm groomed to answer according to marking scheme answers since Day 1 of my primary school, what do you expect? (Lazy examiners, they don't see your points, all they want is the answers to be exactly the same as their bloody marking schemes.)

So, for me, the hardest part of studying Malaysian Studies is not memorizing those meaningless dates of commencement for this or that treaty (I really don't give a damn), but that I have to swallow the non facts which are said to be facts. I realised I can be quite a two-faced since I wrote one thing during exam but another thing here on the net. I think I have the potential to be a politician...hmmm....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you definitely have the qualities required to be an opposition... hahaha....

Anonymous said...

YUp I agree. Malaysian studies was pretty rubbish. But at least the lecturer was fun right? Whats her name, uh, Cikgu Azianna. I also had to do Malaysian studies I think 2 sem's before you. Not too bad if you argue with her concerning politics. And she's from Kelantan, and she'll give you a deeper more disturbing view about what PAS has been doing in the more fundemental part of our country.